Skip to main content

An Epiphany

I guess my biggest regret for the last couple of years is losing friends.  One never likes to lose friends.  I am a fixer and the more I try to fix, I really tend to mess things up.  I really need to learn this lesson:  Let go and let God!  It is so hard for me to let go of people.  No matter how badly things might go between us, I tend to want to hang on and take their abuse (and sometimes dish out mine as well, I am no saint).  I tend to let my anger get the best of me sometimes.

I never used to be so angry, but it seems the older I get and especially after some of my medical diagnoses, the anger came, the depression came, the pain came.  I really kind of went off the deep end for a bit and while I still don't feel like my old sweet kind humble self, I am beginning to feel some better.  I give that credit to a great doctor and my Heavenly Father, not necessarily in that order.

I think one of the biggest lessons I have had to learn as of late is that some people are only meant to be in our lives for a short time and when God decides it is time for them to move on, no matter the reason, I need to learn to let go and let Him do His work in their lives as He sees fit, not as Susan sees fit.  It seems that by trying to hold on to them, I am actually hindering God from doing the work in our lives (theirs and mine), and some of them...well, they are just not worth holding on to.  They need to be cut loose.

When someone says something nasty to you like, "You need a keeper to keep you under control" they most certainly should be cut loose.  I am not innocent in the situation by no shape, form, or fashion, but neither am I the person he says I am.  I am not a vindictive person.  When people used to say things like this to me, it would send me spiraling down into a very deep depression, but if I have learned anything from this mess it is that you don't define me, I define who I am, and while it may not always be pretty, deep down, I know I am a very good person, and I am not going to let you or anyone else tell me otherwise.

Again, I know who I am.  I am a child of THE King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  I have to go to Him daily to confess my sins, which are many.  I am the daughter of a bivocational minister and a retired grocery store manager.  I am the oldest of four.  I am a wife, mother, cousin, sister, friend, aunt, great aunt, great great aunt, and the list goes on.  I am not perfect.  I never claimed to be.  You really don't know me, so please don't pretend you do.  A true friend sticks by you no matter what, they don't bail on you when the going gets tough.  You and (a few others) are  not the people I thought you were.  I'm sure I have disappointed too.  My sincerest apologies.  All I can do from here is go on and try to be a better person.  With God's help, I can do this!

Comments

I am also learning that some people NEED to be cut loose. I enjoyed your post today. i am in the processing of letting someone go that i have fought tooth and nail to keep in my life. so i totally get it. : )
Tina
Unknown said…
Fortunately, we do have the LORD who enables us to work through that which seems so hard. Please keep tabs on me. For some reason I didn't even know you updated. It's possible I missed it because I'm tired though and maybe forgot to check. Either way, know I am always here for you. Please visit my updated blog, okay?
barb-letschat.blogspot.com
Sharon said…
Hello and I understand a vent every now and then!!

Sharon
coastalcomfortii.blogger.com
Sharon said…
We all need to vent sometimes!!
Hello fellow southern gal! Coming to you from NC.

Sharon
coastalcomfortii.blogger.com
Shelly said…
I'm glad you are moving on and most likely moving up!! Keep positive and keep writing. Seems like more and more journalers are getting back into it. I think it's great!
Unknown said…
You keep on being who you are and pay no attention to those who are critical. You and I both know,hon, that to have the Lord's approval is all that really matters any way. We can't please everybody. We can but do our best and you always have. Hugs and much love.

Popular posts from this blog

Still here!~

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Been quite sick for a couple of weeks now. Will be back ASAP good Lord willin' to fill you in on the going's on in our household. Just wanted to pop in long enough to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and even my friends in the U.K. can use tomorrow as a day to remember what you have to be thankful for. Blessings!~ Susan

Prayers Needed!~

Tony and his son, Joshua. My brother-in-law, Tony, was in a bad motorcycle accident today. He has multiple injuries and is currently in ICU. Also, I may not be on much for a bit. Am having some health issues of my own. I would ask that you remember me and my family in your prayers as well. Sorry I have been so neglectful of you all lately. I hope to make it up ASAP. Lots of love!~ Susan

CHRISTmas Miracles Do Happen!~

Our family, tonight, was the recipient of a CHRISTmas Miracle. We were watching TV, the story of Mark David Chapman, the man who shot John Lennon, when we received a knock on our door. It was two of my nephews and a great nephew with two HUGE boxes. I asked them what they were doing, they said, "Delivering your CHRISTmas." It was so unexpected, I didn't know what to say. Nobody really knows the extent of how bad things have been for us lately. We have lived off of boxed mac and cheese mixed with tuna or Rice-A-Roni mixed with a small can of chicken. Some nights, we might have pasta, but without the meat. We have had egg sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have actually lost about 8 pounds, which I needed to lose, but I do not recommend doing it this way. I hugged my nephews and told them thank you. They told us Merry CHRISTmas and left. It was just that quick. When I opened the boxes, there were wrapped gifts. I did not have one gift under our tree for either of