Skip to main content

BAAAAA, HUMBUG!



Do you know people who say they hate Christmas?  I do and it makes me sad for them.  Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite holidays.  Autumn is my favorite time of year.  To me, it is the most wonderful time of the year.  It is a time to give thanks for all we have been blessed with, a time to remember what and who is important to us. 

My family hasn’t been able to have “Christmas” as we have been accustomed for about six years now, but I am not bitter nor angry.  I still find reasons to be thankful and grateful.  I am thankful that my children are old enough now to understand why they don’t have gifts under the tree, but I am most thankful that I raised them to appreciate life and what they can do for others.  Tears come to my eyes as I think about things they have said or done over the years.  I remember one Christmas when my son was about 8 years old, it looked like we were not going to have much of a Christmas at all.  I sat down and explained to him that he might not have a big Christmas like he had always been accustomed to.  He replied, “That’s alright, Mommy!  That is not what Christmas is all about!” 

Talk about choking back some tears, but this Mama did!  It made me so proud of him at that moment because even at 8 years old, he got it.

I remember another Christmas, my very young daughter wrote out her Christmas list.  The very first thing on her list was not for herself but for underprivileged children.  When I read it, I burst out crying.  I knew in reading that we had done our jobs right as parents.  I remember another Christmas where she wanted to volunteer at a soup kitchen and she didn’t want gifts for herself, she wanted me to take the money I was going to spend on her and donate it to a needy family.  She still has dreams of going into the Peace Corps.  Frankly, that terrifies me for her, but at the same time, it makes me fiercely proud of the very giving young lady she has become.

The spirit of Christmas to me is a feeling, a feeling of thankfulness, gratitude, love, giving, and so much more.  There is truth to the old cliché that it is better to give than to receive.  There is such a peace in being able to do what you can for others, even if it means giving your last 6 dollars to organizations like the Salvation Army when you aren’t doing so great financially yourself because you “get” it.  Ethel Percy Andrus said it best, “The human contribution is the essential ingredient.  It is only in the giving of oneself to others that we truly live.”

That is what life is about and if you haven’t figured that out yet, well…you are just missing out is all I can say.

I love spending time with my family during the holidays and I treasure every single moment.  I don’t take my life for granted nor do I take the lives of my family for granted.  I thank God for every single day they wake up breathing and are blessed with their health.  I love our family traditions of drinking egg nog and listening to Christmas carols as we decorate the tree and house, of eating sausage biscuits for breakfast on Christmas morning, and watching the Christmas parades on TV while Christmas dinner is being prepared, the smells of it permeating through the house.  I believe Christmas is a special time for special miracles and that Jesus is most definitely the reason for the season!

So, I ask you as you go through the holiday season, are you going through it because you are stressed with the shopping of trying to find just the right gift and getting your Christmas cards mailed out on time, or are you going through it thankful and grateful to your Maker for all you have been blessed with?  I’m kind of glad in a way that things have been tough for us at Christmas these last six years because it has taught me to be grateful for what I do have, not what I don’t have.  So, if you feel the stress, just stop, take inventory of your life.  Realize what is important!  Be thankful and grateful for your blessings and do what you can to help someone else who might be less fortunate and, when you do, you will be the one to receive the biggest blessing!

Comments

Kay said…
Being a widow, I do not enjoy Christmas like I used to and I know several other widows and widowers who also do not look forward to Christmas.
Linda :) said…
What a wonderful, very true post... A very, blessed Merry Christmas to you and yours... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Still here!~

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Been quite sick for a couple of weeks now. Will be back ASAP good Lord willin' to fill you in on the going's on in our household. Just wanted to pop in long enough to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and even my friends in the U.K. can use tomorrow as a day to remember what you have to be thankful for. Blessings!~ Susan

Prayers Needed!~

Tony and his son, Joshua. My brother-in-law, Tony, was in a bad motorcycle accident today. He has multiple injuries and is currently in ICU. Also, I may not be on much for a bit. Am having some health issues of my own. I would ask that you remember me and my family in your prayers as well. Sorry I have been so neglectful of you all lately. I hope to make it up ASAP. Lots of love!~ Susan

CHRISTmas Miracles Do Happen!~

Our family, tonight, was the recipient of a CHRISTmas Miracle. We were watching TV, the story of Mark David Chapman, the man who shot John Lennon, when we received a knock on our door. It was two of my nephews and a great nephew with two HUGE boxes. I asked them what they were doing, they said, "Delivering your CHRISTmas." It was so unexpected, I didn't know what to say. Nobody really knows the extent of how bad things have been for us lately. We have lived off of boxed mac and cheese mixed with tuna or Rice-A-Roni mixed with a small can of chicken. Some nights, we might have pasta, but without the meat. We have had egg sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have actually lost about 8 pounds, which I needed to lose, but I do not recommend doing it this way. I hugged my nephews and told them thank you. They told us Merry CHRISTmas and left. It was just that quick. When I opened the boxes, there were wrapped gifts. I did not have one gift under our tree for either of