Skip to main content

Sometimes, ya gotta stop and smell the roses...literally!~




Today was such a nice day weatherwise and otherwise here in the deep south. I am a homebody and don't really get out that much. I have written about moving several times, but in case you are a new reader, I will fill you in. We moved back to our home state of Alabama from Colorado in March of 2005 to help our son pick up the pieces of his life after his wife left him. He had bought the house we previously lived in before the move from my father-in-law (we had rented it from Dad, we never owned it). We moved in with him per his request after we moved back from Colorado to help him deal with the pain he was going through after his wife walked out on him. He sold his house last November and now he is living with us in a very nice mobile home park just down the road from where his house was. He had sold the house to his supervisor. His supervisor was letting us still store things there because our storage unit is full, but he is not keeping the house, so we are having to get the rest of our stuff out. Thankfully, my niece has a storage unit on her property that is not currently in use and she is letting us put the little bit of excess in it. Anyway, when I got wind of the fact my son's super was no longer going to own the house, I asked him if he would mind if I went and dug up a few of each flower that was planted and get some cuttings from some of the shrubbery that was in the yard. He gave his permission and yesterday, my Hubby, his Mom, and I went to our old house and did just that. My MIL is the one who had originally set out the plants and flowers to begin with. Even though it was hard work, it was so enjoyable. I haven't had a day like that in a long time!~


After we got our goodies, we went to her house and sorted through our plants, as some I had gotten for her. Afterwards, we sat out on the breezeway with one of my Hubby's sisters and her Hubby (they take care of Mom). We just sat and talked and joked and laughed. I tell ya it was good for my soul. I was showing my SIL the rosebush I dug up. It is called Joseph's Coat. Hubby had bought it for me for Mother's Day back before we ever moved to Colorado over 8 years ago. My MIL had admired it one day and got a cutting off of it. I wish you could see that rosebush now!!!! This woman has a greenthumb like nobody I have ever seen before! My rosebush has never been that big!!!!! Anyway, my SIL said she liked the lavendar rosebush her Mom had and took me around to see it. She wanted me to smell it. It smelled divine. Roses are my favorite flower just because they usually have such wonderful scents.


It started getting chilly, so we moved our conversation inside. My SIL made some coffee and offered to fix us breakfast for supper. She made me some real hot chocolate from Hershey's cocoa, as I don't do coffee, and she baked some homemade biscuits, and fried some bacon, sausage, and scrambled some eggs. She told her Mom she would have to make the gravy because she wasn't good at making it. Mom looked especially tired, so I told her I made good gravy and I would be happy to make it. She was more than willing to let me. I made what I call white gravy. I used some of the bacon grease, flour, milk, water, salt, and pepper. It turned out delish, even if I do say so myself, and so was Mary's food. We had such a nice time sitting around the table picking at each other and just enjoying the fellowship.


It was such a nice day just to be able to take the time to do something I really enjoyed for a change which was to work in the yard a bit and hang with my family. My MIL is such a greenthumb. Most of what I know about flowers and plants, I have learned from her. I actually had time to stop and smell a true rose too!~


Thank you, Lord, for such a wonderful, peaceful day...


P.S. A couple of weekends ago, I actually took a book outside and sat in my lawn chair and read for a couple of hours. There is something to be said for R & R. I felt so happy that day and yesterday as well!~

Comments

betty said…
seems like a wonderful day, Susan; I'm glad you were able to enjoy it with family :)

betty
Cindi said…
OMGoodness, I wish I was there, it sounded so wonderful...what an enjoyable day!
Amy said…
My MIL's got a green thumb, too. Mine? Not so much. I keep trying though....

HAPPY YOU HAD A RELAXING DAY!!!!
akaSamDodsworth said…
I hope that your last few days have helped bring perspective and have brought some light back into your heart, Susan. Life is a series of journeys - some good and some less-so - but we learn and grow from each of them, and I pray that this was a sign of better days ahead.
Missie said…
Enjoy your evening.
Saltydawg said…
I love days like that when you're so productive but then all chill at the end and just eat, drink and be merry.
I used to have very green fingers, but don't have the time any more. They are more light brown now ;-)
Gaz x
PS Thanks, for your prayers for Flo
lisa said…
SO glad that you were blessed with such a wonderful time with your inlaws and family. I love roses too but i kill all plants.
Linda :) said…
I'm so glad you took some time for you.... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Still here!~

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Been quite sick for a couple of weeks now. Will be back ASAP good Lord willin' to fill you in on the going's on in our household. Just wanted to pop in long enough to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and even my friends in the U.K. can use tomorrow as a day to remember what you have to be thankful for. Blessings!~ Susan

Prayers Needed!~

Tony and his son, Joshua. My brother-in-law, Tony, was in a bad motorcycle accident today. He has multiple injuries and is currently in ICU. Also, I may not be on much for a bit. Am having some health issues of my own. I would ask that you remember me and my family in your prayers as well. Sorry I have been so neglectful of you all lately. I hope to make it up ASAP. Lots of love!~ Susan

CHRISTmas Miracles Do Happen!~

Our family, tonight, was the recipient of a CHRISTmas Miracle. We were watching TV, the story of Mark David Chapman, the man who shot John Lennon, when we received a knock on our door. It was two of my nephews and a great nephew with two HUGE boxes. I asked them what they were doing, they said, "Delivering your CHRISTmas." It was so unexpected, I didn't know what to say. Nobody really knows the extent of how bad things have been for us lately. We have lived off of boxed mac and cheese mixed with tuna or Rice-A-Roni mixed with a small can of chicken. Some nights, we might have pasta, but without the meat. We have had egg sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have actually lost about 8 pounds, which I needed to lose, but I do not recommend doing it this way. I hugged my nephews and told them thank you. They told us Merry CHRISTmas and left. It was just that quick. When I opened the boxes, there were wrapped gifts. I did not have one gift under our tree for either of