Skip to main content

A New Lease On Life!~


Just so you know, there are some big changes taking place in our household. My daughter has opted to drop out of high school. This is her junior year. She wants to go ahead and take the GED and start college in the Fall. I have had mixed feelings about her decision, but deep down I feel it is ultimately her life. In some ways, probably most ways, I feel this is a good decision for her. There are some very minor reasons I do not want her to even consider it, but they are mostly selfish reasons on my part. I learned a long time ago my baby girl is different from most, she kind of marches to the beat of her own drum. She is very smart, creative, and artistic, and I do not want to drown that in her because of my insecurities (I want pics of her in her cap and gown and to see her graduate with her class). I think for the most part she has it all figured out. She knows what she wants and she is going after it. I am really, really proud of her for that.

I tend to second guess myself sometimes. I don't really think it is a good thing always. I was second guessing myself about this decision of hers, and my decision to let her do what she wants (probably panicking would be a better description), so I reached out to several of her close friends to try to get them to talk to her about it. I felt she would listen more to them than she would me. Most were very supportive of my request and, for the most part, they have all supported her. She has some awesome friends. She is very blessed in that respect, for sure.

Anyway, moving on, for a long time now she has been very interested in volunteer work and has begged me to find something for her to do. I did one better than that, I found something both of us can volunteer for together, and it is a very worthy cause. It just goes to show how God can work out even the tiniest details.

I actually wrote this post called, "Reflections" a couple of years ago. I was reviewing my Journey Through The Valley of Shadows journal yesterday and came across this particular post. It is basically a summary of what my Journey Through The Valley of Shadows journal is about. I had a strong feeling I needed to post it in my notes on Facebook. I have learned to follow my "intuition." Sometimes, I feel that intuition is actually the Holy Spirit leading me.

So far, I have gotten three responses to that post. The first one was from a high school friend who said I should definitely keep telling Scottie's story. The second was from another high school friend who felt that the info I have in this journal could benefit someone she knows who is currently dealing with kids with similar issues. The third was from my son's 4-year-old kindergarten teacher when he attended First Baptist (he is 26 now). It turns out my post really struck a nerve with her. She was really touched by what I had written, as were my other two friends. She feels like I have a passion for this type of work (I do) and that I am wasting my talents by staying at home all the time. Turns out her daughter has just started a new ministry called BigHouse Foundation. It is for Foster kids in our area. Read more about it here:

http://www.ourbighouse.org/contact_us.html

My daughter has always been so good with kids. They seem to draw to her like she's a magnet. I guess part of that comes from being a part of such a large family. I think when all of us are together we have like close to 70. This is JUST immediate family (my hubby and his siblings, their spouses, their children, and grandchildren). It has been very good training for her, plus she has worked with kids at church through the years, as I have. She has also done some babysitting from time to time, so she has had lots of experience with kids. It has actually been my heart's desire to be in the ministry fulltime for quite a while now. My Dad was a minister, so it is in my blood.

Carrie and I went for a milkshake last night and went to the park, her favorite place to hang out, and had a long discussion. She talked to me about how I stay too much in her business and interfere too much in her life (I admit to that). I had very recently done something that she had asked me not to do and it backfired on me. I confessed it to her and she was understandably upset with me, but at least I told her the truth. I am like really trying here, but old habits sure die hard. ::big sigh:: It's really hard when you have always done everything for a child and have always made decisions for them, and then you have to learn to let go, but I know I have got to learn to do just that for her well-being. I told her I feel it is because I really no longer have a life. I stay inside these four walls day after day after day. Cabin fever is enough to drive anybody over the edge. Anyway, she and I both are really excited about this project and cannot wait to see it come to fruition. Will keep you posted!

Blessings!~

Susan

Comments

~Ann~ said…
You sound really excited about it!

It sounds like she has a good shoulder on her head. You may not see her with her h.s. cap and gown but you will be there for the college one! :)
Missie said…
There comes a time when we have to realize that our dreams for our children, are not the same dreams our children have for themselves. It's so hard to let go of our dream.

As long as our kids get to the finish line, who cares how they get there. They must make their own path.

I've had a hard time letting go and letting Nicci be the adult she needs to be.

She was so sickly with Anorexia just a year ago, I feel I need to watch her like a hawk. She's doing great now, but I still watch like a hawk, which drives her crazy. It's truly something I must work on, for the problem is not hers anymore, it's mine.
Monica said…
I can relate to the mixed feelings about your daughter getting her GED and going to college. However, it sounds like she has a good grip on what she has planned out. I wish her the best.

I'm glad you have something - the volunteering to get excited about. I wish you the best!

Monica
Amy said…
The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education - by Grace Llewellyn. Get it for C. It's an awesome read.
Linda :) said…
Wow can she do that, lol... how can you not be proud, she wants to drop out of school so she can go to college!!
So very excited for you both on your new venture.... You have the biggest heart ever and it needs to be shared!! :)
Lisa said…
I am so excited for you!! We have some plans over here too I feel God leading me to and I know exactly what you mean about working from home and yes, after a while being home bound all the time... it just feels good even to go to Walmart LOL LOL LOL. Wishing your daughter a lot of success in college!
Hugs,
Lisa
Celeste said…
I hope she has checked with the college. Some are not taking students with GED's and the ones that do are making them take remedial classes.
Chef E said…
She sounds like me who took courses in the summer and turned seventeen three months after I finished, and my parents were concerned I would miss the 'real' grad ceremony...but I went to college three times, and turned out just fine...

My son also took the GED, because he felt he did not fit in, so we home schooled and he is in college now...life has a funny way of working itself out...

Saw you on another blog! I am a southern girl too...

Popular posts from this blog

Still here!~

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Been quite sick for a couple of weeks now. Will be back ASAP good Lord willin' to fill you in on the going's on in our household. Just wanted to pop in long enough to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and even my friends in the U.K. can use tomorrow as a day to remember what you have to be thankful for. Blessings!~ Susan

Prayers Needed!~

Tony and his son, Joshua. My brother-in-law, Tony, was in a bad motorcycle accident today. He has multiple injuries and is currently in ICU. Also, I may not be on much for a bit. Am having some health issues of my own. I would ask that you remember me and my family in your prayers as well. Sorry I have been so neglectful of you all lately. I hope to make it up ASAP. Lots of love!~ Susan

CHRISTmas Miracles Do Happen!~

Our family, tonight, was the recipient of a CHRISTmas Miracle. We were watching TV, the story of Mark David Chapman, the man who shot John Lennon, when we received a knock on our door. It was two of my nephews and a great nephew with two HUGE boxes. I asked them what they were doing, they said, "Delivering your CHRISTmas." It was so unexpected, I didn't know what to say. Nobody really knows the extent of how bad things have been for us lately. We have lived off of boxed mac and cheese mixed with tuna or Rice-A-Roni mixed with a small can of chicken. Some nights, we might have pasta, but without the meat. We have had egg sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have actually lost about 8 pounds, which I needed to lose, but I do not recommend doing it this way. I hugged my nephews and told them thank you. They told us Merry CHRISTmas and left. It was just that quick. When I opened the boxes, there were wrapped gifts. I did not have one gift under our tree for either of