Skip to main content

No Presents? Depends on how you look at it




If I took a picture of my Christmas tree from top to bottom, you most likely would notice that it is bare underneath the tree. With my Hubby having been laid off from his job in August, funds are currently quite scarce around here right now. I explained to my daughter, yet again, as it was the same situation last year, that there would be no presents underneath the tree this year. Her words were, and I quote, "That's okay, Mama, that isn't what Christmas is about." She may only be 17, but she has the wisdom of someone much older, as she definitely is wiser than any 17-year-old I have ever known.

A few Christmases ago, my son sold his house. He has always wanted a laptop, but instead of buying himself one, he bought my daughter one with some of the proceeds from the sale of his house. He still doesn't have his laptop, but it doesn't matter. It made him very happy to do that for his sister. I have such selfless children, and I am so proud to call them mine. I know we did something right in raising them.

I must interject at this point that someone did step in to see that we had a good Christmas last year. We don't know who it was, although we do have our suspicions. They bought gifts for each of us and groceries. At the last moment, someone else stepped in and gave us a little money, so I was able to buy a few things for my daughter. I talked to my son about it and asked him if he wanted me to get him anything, he said no, you had me for 10 years before my sister was ever born, so I have had a lot more Christmases than she has, just buy for her. Although it broke my heart not to have him anything from us under the tree, I did as he wished. We have had several others step in with groceries and/or money since Hubby's lay-off. We have not gone without even once. There are no words to thank the people responsible. I am not one bit surprised that we have been given so much because we have done the same thing for people along the way as we were able, so I am not one bit surprised to see it come back to us. I learned a long time ago, you just cannot outgive God. When you allow Him to use you as His vessel, it comes back to you again and again.

So, as I look underneath the bare tree, I see not what we don't have, but what we do have. We have a roof over our heads, food in the fridge, clothes on our back, vehicles to drive, and most importantly, we have each other AND our faith in God, along with many, many good friends. I have all I could ever want or need. We will still have a wonderful Christmas with good food and great fellowship with our family. My family and I are blessed beyond measure!
Author's Note: Photo was taken of my family at my cousin's house on Thanksgiving.

Comments

LYN said…
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST...THANKS FOR THE REMINDER..IT'S EASY TO GET CAUGHT UP IN IT ALL....
Lisa said…
What a beautiful entry!! You have very special and wonderful children to be so giving and mature. You are right, we have much to be thankful for, with or without presents under the tree. God is so good. It's having Him in our hearts that is most important and I truly enjoyed this entry knowing that your message is the same one we are sharing this year with ours. We'll have a few things for each child but it may not be all brand new. Some of it is used but that's okay. My kids will be thankful all the same. The important things are right here with us all ready. God Bless You and Yours!
Lisa
aims said…
Amen, and Praise the Lord -- It does my heart so good to hear more and more people this year talk like this; getting back to the "real" meaning of Christmas. It's not about those gifts under the tree - it's about the gift of salvation. It's about being thankful for the gifts that matter; the ones you mentioned here. We're in the same place you're in this year, and it isn't bothering our family at all, either. We have so much to be thankful for. You and your husband can look at your two children and know you did indeed do something right. I believe you did a lot of things right. ~ many blessings! Love you!
Missie said…
This was such a beautiful entry.

Popular posts from this blog

Still here!~

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Been quite sick for a couple of weeks now. Will be back ASAP good Lord willin' to fill you in on the going's on in our household. Just wanted to pop in long enough to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and even my friends in the U.K. can use tomorrow as a day to remember what you have to be thankful for. Blessings!~ Susan

Prayers Needed!~

Tony and his son, Joshua. My brother-in-law, Tony, was in a bad motorcycle accident today. He has multiple injuries and is currently in ICU. Also, I may not be on much for a bit. Am having some health issues of my own. I would ask that you remember me and my family in your prayers as well. Sorry I have been so neglectful of you all lately. I hope to make it up ASAP. Lots of love!~ Susan

CHRISTmas Miracles Do Happen!~

Our family, tonight, was the recipient of a CHRISTmas Miracle. We were watching TV, the story of Mark David Chapman, the man who shot John Lennon, when we received a knock on our door. It was two of my nephews and a great nephew with two HUGE boxes. I asked them what they were doing, they said, "Delivering your CHRISTmas." It was so unexpected, I didn't know what to say. Nobody really knows the extent of how bad things have been for us lately. We have lived off of boxed mac and cheese mixed with tuna or Rice-A-Roni mixed with a small can of chicken. Some nights, we might have pasta, but without the meat. We have had egg sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have actually lost about 8 pounds, which I needed to lose, but I do not recommend doing it this way. I hugged my nephews and told them thank you. They told us Merry CHRISTmas and left. It was just that quick. When I opened the boxes, there were wrapped gifts. I did not have one gift under our tree for either of