Skip to main content

Frightday!~




We were supposed to decorate our tree today. Hubby and I went to our storage unit earlier to get it and couldn't find it only to remember that we had donated it to charity last year. ::sigh:: It had been well used and had a bit of a hole in it, but we always turned that part toward the back. Neither of us are currently working, so no income. We decided we would go to the woods on our family's land to look for a tree.

I picked Carebear up from school and drove to my MIL's house and she and I got out to walk through the woods to see what we could find. At one point, there was a nice wide path through the woods, toward the back of our family property, which led to somebody else's land, and it was soooooo pretty back there. I've never noticed it before even though I have walked by that same path numerous times. I guess it is really only visible around this time of year.

My Carebear stayed on the regular path on our land, but I veered off and followed that wide path onto the other person's land. The spring that runs through our property also runs along this other person's property, and the woods were sooooo clean and not overgrown like the woods on our property. I didn't see any no trespassing signs, and it was so pretty with all of the fallen leaves and such a pretty hillside, I just couldn't help myself. I remember thinking how pretty it would be to have a house on that hill overlooking the pretty woods. We know the folks who own it, I don't think they would have objected to me walking that little ways back; however, when I came out of the woods at the same spot I had gone in just 10-15 minutes earlier, no Carebear. She wasn't where I had left her, so I started walking down by the catfish pond and through the yard of the A-frame, (the house where we used to live) calling her name. No answer. I walked by the garage and took a different path back into the same woods we had just come out of calling her name. Nothing. I walked all the way back to my mother-in-law's house where I had left the van expecting her to be sitting in the van. Again, no Carebear. I walked into my mother-in-law's house and asked her if she had seen my Carebear. She said no. At this time, I started to feel panicky and anxious and started imagining all sorts of things.

Was there someone else in the woods with us? Did they take her? Did she try to follow the path I took onto the other person's land and get lost? Did a wild animal get her (I know, I have quite the imagination, don't I?). I got back in the van and drove to the church yard beside the A-frame calling out to her. It had just crossed my mind I was going to have to go tell my husband I had lost our daughter in the woods while looking for a Christmas tree. I was feeling extremely panicky.

I decided to call her once more and this time I see the hint of her hot pink shirt with stars coming down the path beside the catfish pond behind our old house. She looked visibly upset. I walked down to her and asked her if she was okay. She was almost in a full-blown anxiety attack. She asked me why I left her and told me how scared she was being left back there by herself. Nevermind the fact she has walked that trail many times by herself. I had thought she would stand and wait on me where I had left her, but she didn't. Her main concern was snakes. I told her snakes hibernate during the winter (they do, don't they?).

Be careful what you tell your children when they are little, okay? When we moved into that house, my Carebear was 3 years old. I worried so much about her going to the pond behind our house all by herself and drowning, so I told her there were great big snakes back there and she was to never go to the pond by herself. I guess that fear carried over from her childhood.

The most important thing is my baby girl is safe and sound with me at home right now (THANK YOU, JESUS!), but I do hate that I have made her afraid of the woods because of something I told her when she was a small child. If I knew then what I know now, I definitely would have done a few things differently...

Comments

Missie said…
I think we all tell our kids scary stuff like the snake to keep them safe. I'm sure she'll be okay in a few days.

Enjoy your night.
kbear said…
Happy you found your daughter. thanks for dropping by my journal today. it's nice to meet new friends.~kbear
Monica said…
I've told things like that to my own when they were little. As parents we worry so much about our precious little ones.

I'm so glad you two found each other, I would've been having an anxiety attach searching for her. I realize it's on a path that she has walked and on your own property but, I would've been thinking all kinds of crazy thoughts too.

Monica
LYN said…
don't feel too bad..we have all done it!!
glad she's okay...
Cindi said…
oh, how scary..happy u found her
Linda :) said…
Glad you found her safe... and I'll start to tell hubby something I learned as a child and I'll stop and think as an adult and say that can't be right, now is it true or something my parents made up when I was a kid, lol....
Unknown said…
I think we all do it....I call it parental exageration....
D said…
I think we all do that with our kids.. to protect them. I'm so sorry she was scared and all that panic set in. Glad everyone is ok
hugs

Popular posts from this blog

Still here!~

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. Been quite sick for a couple of weeks now. Will be back ASAP good Lord willin' to fill you in on the going's on in our household. Just wanted to pop in long enough to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and even my friends in the U.K. can use tomorrow as a day to remember what you have to be thankful for. Blessings!~ Susan

CHRISTmas Miracles Do Happen!~

Our family, tonight, was the recipient of a CHRISTmas Miracle. We were watching TV, the story of Mark David Chapman, the man who shot John Lennon, when we received a knock on our door. It was two of my nephews and a great nephew with two HUGE boxes. I asked them what they were doing, they said, "Delivering your CHRISTmas." It was so unexpected, I didn't know what to say. Nobody really knows the extent of how bad things have been for us lately. We have lived off of boxed mac and cheese mixed with tuna or Rice-A-Roni mixed with a small can of chicken. Some nights, we might have pasta, but without the meat. We have had egg sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. I have actually lost about 8 pounds, which I needed to lose, but I do not recommend doing it this way. I hugged my nephews and told them thank you. They told us Merry CHRISTmas and left. It was just that quick. When I opened the boxes, there were wrapped gifts. I did not have one gift under our tree for either of

Prayers Needed!~

Tony and his son, Joshua. My brother-in-law, Tony, was in a bad motorcycle accident today. He has multiple injuries and is currently in ICU. Also, I may not be on much for a bit. Am having some health issues of my own. I would ask that you remember me and my family in your prayers as well. Sorry I have been so neglectful of you all lately. I hope to make it up ASAP. Lots of love!~ Susan